Camp White Earth

Home page | My Memories | Campers & Staff | What’s News? | Anecdotes | Message Board | Individual Bios | Photo Gallery | History | Map | Reunion 2006 | Reunion 2008 | Contact

Individual Bios

These are bios that I have received in the past few weeks.  If you would like to add yours, please email it to me.


Jim Bell | Frank Gross | Bill Chorske | Bill Putnam | George Fulford | Jim Richards | Bob Adams | Bill Saul  | Steve Koepcke | Jon Ekdahl | Dick Flickinger | Paul Whitney­ | Guy Hatlie | Al Standish | Mal Burson |



Jim Bell


I graduated with an MD degree from the University of Iowa in 1960. Have practiced general practice, then family practice in DM since 1963. First wife died suddenly of brain hemorrhage in 1983.  Second wife, Barbara, and I celebrate our 25th anniversary in Jan. I am a pilot and plan to fly with a small group of private pilots touring the Bahamas in Feb. 2010 

I retired from allopathic medicine in 2000 and am presently counseling patients who have depression, anxiety disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, post traumatic stress disorder, family squabbles, etc.

My pals at Camp--Frank Chandler, Alan Peterson, Tommy Nelson, the Gale brothers, the Haupt brothers, Dave Baker, Dick Cardozo, Dick Flickinger, Gordy 
Soltau, Jim Sutherland, Bernie Swanson, Whitey Oberg, and others.

If it was Schermerhorn's (sp?) bay where the really big and fast boats lived, I believe that my former dentist might have bought land in that area. His name was Art Cahalan, and his son is an excellent surgeon here in DM. Art died from a fall while at White Earth, and I believe Marge (his wife) sold the land soon thereafter.

My wife and I were in N MN a couple of years ago and we visited the campsite. Teary eyes for me.  Wonderful memories. I thought I was losing my gourd when I went across back bay to what should have been Bowmans and no one knew that it was ever called that -- even in their archives.

Again, thanks very much for what you are doing here.



Frank Gross


I enlisted in the Army in 64, Trained as crew chief for the old H21s, sent to Vietnam, and as you would expect from the Army, all the H21s had been retired back to the states. After a week at the Saigon reception center, sent to Can Tho, 13th Av. Bn., then to Vinh Long 114th Av. Co. where I spent my tour first as an L-19 Bird dog crew chief, and later as a flight operations specialist. Upon returning to the states, it was back to Rucker where I went though Huey school, then to Troy State for methods of Instruction.  I was then instructing primary maintenance on the Hueys.  I met my wife Betty while at Rucker and we have been together since Aug 1966.  I left the Army a sergeant in Oct 66 and returned with Betty to Minneapolis where I had a few jobs, and later a business which we sold in 79 and moved back down south.  By the way, the 114th has a nice website  lots of pics, etc. from the Delta

I would like to get in touch with Jerry Fladeland,  Back in 1962-63 I attended Minneapolis Vocational  training to get my aircraft mechanics license, Jerry's father Sid was my instructor.  I have been a fixed wing pilot since 1961, hold mechanic, commercial pilot, instrument, and free balloon certificates though we no longer own an aircraft and have been inactive for the past five years. "Gettin Old"

Really enjoyed the site, had some time last evening to really look it over.  As for experiences, remember making "Rat tails " with our towels, and peeing to the rope that lifted the hatch in the out house?  How about when someone dropped their flashlight and would be lowered by there ankles to retrieve it!

By the way we are in Kingston Springs which is just to the west of Nashville, Crossville is east of here about 100 miles.  It's about halfway between Nashville and Knoxville on I 40

Let's keep in touch. Frank



Bill Chorske


I was a counselor at White Earth in 1956, 57, & 58. At the time I was a student at the University of Minnesota and a football player. My football career ended soon after my last summer at White Earth because of a knee injury. I finished the U of M in 1959 with a degree in Electrical Engineering. I stayed around until 1961 when I received a Masters in EE as well.


I moved to California for two years and then went to the East Coast and earned an MBA at the Harvard Business School. I stayed in New England for the next 20 years working for a high tech company there. My wife and I pretty much became New Englanders.


Fate and coincidence intervened and I returned to Minneapolis in the late 80s to work for a company there. After 4 years in Minneapolis I was sent to Europe to run my company’s business there.


I retired in 1997 and moved permanently to Vermont with my wife where we remain today with significant time spent in Florida and travels to various parts of the world.


I recently turned 70, which seems to be a significant milestone, but my health is excellent. I have been married to the same lady for 43 years. We have 3 children and 7 grandchildren.


SPECIAL NOTE:  I have recently been notified that Gayle Chorske has passed away in March of 2010 as a result of cancer.  We extend our deepest sympathy to Bill and the greater circle of the Chorske family.  God bless Gayle Chorske.



Bill Putnam


After Camp was sold in 61 or 62, I attended Beloit College in Wisconsin, with the encouragement of Bob Adams, one of my best friends. College was good to me. Not much in the scholastic area, but great in extra curriculars. Capt. of swim team, undefeated in conference competition for four years, only swimmer in Midwest Conf history (at the time) to win four different events at conf. meet during career. Received B.Blanket as senior (0nly 4 given). Pledge Pres and Pres of Sigma Alpha Epsilon.

Attended one year of graduate studies at U of Missouri, then went to work in family retail lumber and building materials business. Became Pres of Tapjac Company, Inc,, in 1976. Sold business in 1999 to E C Barton and Co. Retained ownership of real estate, so am in commercial RE business now. Also operate a commercial office building in Carthage, MO. My home town in Camp days, is my home town now. One of my best friends is Pat Phelps, camper in early 50's. He is a real estate developer (retired bank trust officer) and leases space in my building.

Have been very active over the years in Boy Scouts (Silver Beaver winner in 1986), raised over $4 million to build new YMCA in 1991. Distinguished Service Award from Beloit College in the 80's and elected to the Athletic Hall of Honor.
Named Carthage's Citizen of the Year 6 years ago.

Currently serve as Executive Director of Community Foundation of Southwest Missouri. Have second home in Keystone, CO. and spend 30% or so of our time here.

Married to Cindy for 37 years. 4 kids, aged 42 to 28, seven grand kids, aged 10 years to 6 mos.

Life has been good to me. For years I have treasured my camp memories. Coach was one of my heroes. Corresponded with Rich and Nancy Borstad for a few years after camp. Thank you for putting this together, I have thought of it myself for years, but never took action. It will be great to see you and others next month.




George Fulford


I am the physician assistant for an allergist, since 1973 - it seems like my first real job.

We treat allergies with immunotherapy, by giving patients extracts of the things they react to in liquid drops under the tongue. The exciting thing is that we provide immunotherapy for all, anyone with allergy to dust, pollen, mold, food or chemical, even poison ivy. Dr. David Morris started giving these drops in 1968 as an alternative to giving the same extracts as shots in the arm. It turns out that this is more safe and effective, but less costly. It's exciting to lead the medical community into a new treatment paradigm, but it hurts to get the vituperation of those doctors who are threatened by change.

I am married to Joyce, who is an artist, painting Rosemaling, the Norwegian folk art. Today, she is displaying her work for sale at Norskedalen, a nearby Norwegian culture center, for their midsummer celebration.

We live near the Mississippi in La Crosse, WI at the foot of a bluff and even have a small community garden to work near the end of our street. I use more of my time gardening daylilies and growing investments, also my doctor's hobby. Retirement is off 2 to 5 years, I imagine.

Our 2 sons are Greg and Grant, ages 37 and 35, who live in Minneapolis MN and Madison, WI.

Thanks for working to make this reunion. My years at White Earth influenced my growth as much and with better memories than did high school. We will see you in September.

George Fulford



Jim Richards

     This is a very worthwhile project; the Camp White Earth web site is most interesting and I am sure it will continue to grow.  I can see that the Camp made a great impression upon many you. I too enjoyed my summers and perhaps it had some impact on what I am doing now.

    I was a camper…. and I cannot even remember, but it had to be back maybe in the late 1940’s and early 1950’s.  A lot of the staff were U of M football players such as Cal Stoll, Frank Kuzma and others and also returned vets from WW II who insisted on the tight and well made bunks.  A Finlander from the Range who was called Poika (which means boy) was one.  It was a grand time, trips to the Detroit Lakes Water Carnival (which is still held) was one of the highlights of the summer.  The resorts have changed and the camp is now owned by the Tribe and somewhat rundown.  For a number of years Concordia College leased the site and used it for some of their language camp programs and our son Jay was the head cook there when it was Japanese Camp. 
     I grew up in the Twin Cities, went to Edina High School, graduated in 1957, and because of my hockey ability and interest, went to Dartmouth College graduated in 1961.  I played hockey there all 4 years, Ivy League champs for two of those.   I was a geology major and also a member of Phi Delta Theta.   Went to work the summer of 1961 for my father who was a contractor.   The business was high risk rock and water work, building jetties in Texas. I was called to active duty in the Berlin Crisis in 1961 in a Texas NG outfit.  I was the only Yankee in the crowd!  Served my time, and the next job with my father’s company was rebuilding the north jetty at Tillamook, OR.  Job was different in that it called for 13 ton plus stone or rock.   The spec was impossible and this project was the end of my Dad’s company. I went to graduate school at the U of Minnesota. Fred (my brother) who graduated from Stanford was in law school, and we started a blasting business of blasting wetlands for wildlife ponds.  This really took off, and I continued on for 25 years.   Read Helen and Scott Nearing’s book called Living the Good Life and decided to move “Up North” and homestead and make maple syrup and still continue the blasting business.   We had some land on Little Sugarbush Lake and moved here in 1972, very rough at first, no hot water for six years, wood heat for 25 years, $200 Res cars, and pioneer homesteading.   Started the maple syrup operation and became the largest in Minnesota.   I moved five old immigrant log houses in and some friends said why don’t you make some bunks in the Sugarhouse which we did, and charged $3.50 per night and Concordia College, said what a great place for some language villages.  Why don’t you build a lodge and we can move there in the summer.  So we did and we had Russian and Swedish language camp here for 18 years and now Spanish for the past 13.  Spring and Fall is busy with weddings, conventions and retreats and the such.  But our core business is that of cross country skiing.   Maplelag was voted the Number One Cross ski resort in North America.  Quite an honor…… above Royal Gorge, Lone Mountain, and Trapp Family among others.   Be sure to check our web at  

Kind Regards,
Jim Richards…..”Pork Chops”


P.S. I might add that from days at Camp White Earth and eating in the old dining hall or was it the main room, there was a giant elk rack and skull that I think Hagbert Johnson unearthed in a peat swamp or meadow while he was haying and this instilled in me a life long quest as a collector of many different things.   Perhaps my number one interest in the collecting field is that of Norwegian folk art. And as a non Norwegian, I have been in this filed for over 45 years.   I co-authored a book along with Don Gilberston, the former head of the Bell Museum at the U of Minnesota called:  A Treasury of Norwegian Folk Art in America.  This is a book we sold for $6.95, 5000 copies sold out, and the printer lost the plates.  The last time someone had the book listed it went for over $204.00. Such is life!  Other areas of collecting interest are: homemade cross country skis, Minnesota fish decoys(we have over 1000 and are in the process of building a museum here at Maplelag), over 300 metal and plastic lunch boxes(we lost 450 of them in a fire we had here in 1999), logging tools and artifacts(we have the largest collection of spring boards in the country), unusual and original signs of all kinds, Clarice Cliff pottery, berry pickers, perhaps the largest collection of depot or station signs of town names from mainly the Midwest and Western Canada
of the Great Northern, Northern Pacific, Soo Line, Milwaukee Road, Canadian Pacific, and Canadian National, and my latest interest has been tabas from Argentina. With the lodge here at Maplelag over 46,000 sq. ft., it gives a ton of room to display items.

     Hope a lot of you can join us for the reunion in Sept of 2006.


Bob Adams


Dear Camp White Earth alumni,


First of all, I join all of you in appreciating the inspired efforts of Guy Hatlie in bringing us back together.  For the record I was a camper from '52-'56, kitchen boy '58, and a counselor '59-61.  For those of you with whom I have already communicated, this brief bio will be old information.   While I was a counselor, I was a student at Beloit College in Wisconsin which is where I met my wife Karen (we just had our 40th) and I was on the swimming team.  I make note of the latter not because of anything remarkable I did in the water (my achievements were nothing to write home about - which is essentially what I'm doing now) but it was out of the water that I made a huge contribution to Beloit College swimming.  It was because of our friendship at Camp White Earth that Bill Putnam attended Beloit, where he smashed all existing records in all freestyle events, not only at the college but also the Midwest Conference, and has received Beloit's highest athletic recognition.  After Beloit I attended medical school at the University of Minnesota, then an internship at Hennepin County General Hospital in Minneapolis followed by a residency and fellowship in anesthesiology at the Mayo Clinic.  Then Uncle Sam made me an offer I couldn't refuse, and I spent two years at Naval Hospital San Diego (tough duty).  After that I accepted a position on the staff at Mayo and since I am from Rochester and my dad was also a Mayo doc, it might seem that the loop was closed and I would spend the rest of my life at Mayo.  However, those two years in San Diego living a stone's throw from the beach in Coronado and thoroughly enjoying every other delight of Southern California changed my outlook on life, i.e. I decided it was more important where I lived than where I worked.  I joined a large group practice of anesthesiology in San Diego in 1974 and just retired last month.


Karen and I have three "kids" and it just occurred to me that, for all I know, they may have gone to college with some of your kids.  Jane (Princeton '91, Harvard Law '95) does corporate law for a large California firm (Cooley Godward), Charlie (Trinity College '95) is an executive in a biotech company in SD, and Russell (Georgetown '98, Columbia Graduate School of Journalism '02) is a sports writer for the Wall Street Journal.


Karen and I still live in Coronado and a few years ago we built a second home in San Miguel de Allende in Mexico, where we spend most of our time.


Thanks again to Guy.  Stay in touch, Bob



Bill Saul


Bio at



Steve Koepcke


I sure am glad that this venture has gotten off the ground.  In the past I have had to share those wonderful CWE memories only with myself.


As a camper, kitchen boy and counselor, who worked closely with Coach on the rifle range, I have continued to enjoy the out doors by going on camping trips with my wife, Marilyn and our two children.  Of course this was when we were younger. About seven years ago we built a summer home in mid Minnesota about two hours from our home in the Minneapolis suburb of St. Louis Park.  We have been married for almost 37 years and our two children are also both married.  Our oldest daughter just had our first grandchild, a granddaughter, August 2005.


After finishing my 12 year stint at CWE,  I picked up an AA degree from the University of Minnesota, went to work for about eleven months before enlisting in the Army in 1963.  After serving my three year hitch in Germany, I came home to enroll in the College of Education at the University of Minnesota.  I graduated in 1969 with a BS degree and started teaching Industrial Arts at a local junior high school.  Along the way I completed my MA degree and became certified in Special Education.  In 2002 I retired and have been substituting ever since.  Marilyn also graduated from the U of M in Medical Technology and took a job, which she held for the next 42 years, at the University Hospital as a Microbiologist.  She retired just a few months before I did and currently provides day care for our grandchild.


During my teaching years, I acquired an interest in woodworking and have been equipping my much too small workroom facilities at the summer home.  I and members of my extended family finished the cottage after having the shell built, so this family hide-a-way has provided many hours of joy and relaxation to many in our extended family and acquaintances.  Of course, during the planning and building process, I often thought back to the days at White Earth.  It seems that once the outdoors gets into your blood, it never leaves.   It will be fun to get together and exchange stories about good old Camp White Earth.



Jon Ekdahl


A few of the pictures on your proposed website bring back recollections [especially the flag raising and Coach Thorpe].  I do recall Rich Borstad and Jerry Fladeland--and names of places like Bowmans, Detroit Lakes and Itasca but memories have faded nearly completely.  I am not even certain I would recognize myself at this point!!


If you have a drawing or map of the camp, I'd suggest posting that--it might help those of us whose recall has weakened to remember the locations of the cabins, rifle range, boat area, swimming dock, etc. 


This next summer is a very busy one for my family with my oldest daughter getting married so I am not a likely attendee at any gathering at White Earth [or the Minneapolis area]. 


If photos or other White Earth memorabilia still exist in my household, it would be due to the efforts of my long deceased parents--but, if I uncover such and it would be suitable for posting on your website, I'll be happy to share it. 


Best wishes on your endeavor!!



Dick Flickinger


I am still practicing ophthalmology in Waukesha, WI.  

I would be definitely interested in participating in a White Earth reunion whenever it is convenient for the rest of the group.


My wife's name is Susan. (Sue)  We have three children all in Wisconsin.  We also have enjoyed having and breeding Yellow Labradors.  Have two, named Dewars and Rob Roy. Guess what we drink?


I have been practicing ophthalmology in Wisconsin since 1970.  Pretty soon I will have the eyeballs perfected!!!!  Having so much fun I don't plan to retire for another 4 years. 


We live in the midst of 50 acres and I enjoy gardening, planting trees, splitting wood, carving birds, hunting, fishing and anything outdoors, also play rotten golf.



Paul Whitney


Hi y'all. Long time no see! First of all, 3 cheers for Guy for thinking of and following through with his "grand plan." In response to what I have been up to for the past 50 years, I'm going to jump at the opportunity to reminisce some more.


CWE experiences in the out doors sealed my fate for I followed my love for the out doors that was ignited and nurtured at CWE. I enjoyed school and some how managed to obtain a series of degrees associated with environmental science. While at Earlham in Indiana, I majored in biology and played football and ran track. Our football team had a 23 game winning streak and we only lost three games in the four years I played (half back and punter). Javelin was my strength in track and I placed 3rd in the state my senior year - not quite the Olympics but great fun. Indiana University was home for two years and there I met my wife Diane in a physiology class. Via Oak Ridge Tennessee for a year, we moved to Fairbanks, Alaska where I studied arctic biology and tried to become a professional student. While there, we socialized with Phips and "Pinks" Rinaldo. Phips was at CWE for several years and his folks had a big spread on White Earth Lake. We lost touch with Phips when we moved on to the University of Calgary where I studied genetics and Diane went to medical school. We ended up in Portland where Diane did her residency in psychiatry and I started a career as an Environmental Consultant. My way up the corporate ladder was met with many wins and losses and the Company of about 400 finally spun apart about 5 years ago. Our Portland branch stayed intact and we were purchased en mass by Jones & Stokes, an environmental firm of about 400 on the west coast. Our kid, Molly - 22, graduated from Linfield College in McMinnville, Oregon and she majored in environmental biology. Molly is currently employed by the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation in Portland. My way down the corporate ladder has the advantages of being able to sleep well and not having chest pains from worrying about how to make pay role. Current consulting projects include work on salmon recovery and ecosystem-based environmental management. Clients include Weyerhaeuser, Waste Management, Port of Portland, and the City of Portland. My goal this year is to ramp back to 80% and join Diane who is already taking Fridays off. For fun these days, Diane and I paddle in our canvas cedar canoe, hike in the Columbia Gorge and along the coast and maintain our few acres of apple trees and grapes. I have my alcohol Servers Permit and pour (on a volunteer basis) for a local Pinot Noir vineyard, Stag Hollow, on the few weekends it opens to the public. I keep my "board" duties sharpened by serving on a few boards such as "Salmon Safe" a non profit group that certifies products as being "friendly to salmon". Salmon Safe has found that folks will pay 10% more for products that have this designation on their labels. We are between dogs and are currently looking for a Springer Spaniel.


I'd love to hear from any or all of you that are so inclined. The CWE years were great ones - the counselors always told us how lucky we were to be there! How right they were. I had my youthful indiscretions while at CWE and I often wince at the silly/dumb things I did. I remember a severe scolding by Pete for cleaning paint brushes with gasoline in the craft shop. He said I could have burned the whole thing down. But you know. I don't clean paint brushes with gasoline any more and I'm sure I'm going to live better because of it! If you can remember some of the silly things I did please don't hold back - y'all are my window into a past that is rather blurry when it comes to specifics. While looking forward to hearing from and seeing some of you,


I remain,

Panglossian Paul in Portland



Guy Hatlie


I have many terrific memories from my Camp White Earth Days….. I took away a few good skills as well: sailing, canoeing, shooting, to name a few.  I would like to think that the Camp experience instilled a little bit of an adventurous outdoor spirit which is still with me.


In any case, after my camping years I graduated from Jamestown High School (Jamestown, North Dakota) in 1961.  I did all right…..Student Council President, and captain of the golf team.  I was not a jock….terribly immature and weighed 125 pounds on graduation day!  Then to New Mexico Military Institute…..Roswell, New Mexico.  That was an adventure…out in the middle of nowhere for a couple of years.  Made the Rifle Team….picked up an A.A. degree in 1963, but was not terrific academically, so the Academies were out.  Finished my Bachelors in Business at the University of Montana, at Missoula in June, 1966.  Again, I was not particularly motivated in the realm of academia, joined  Phi Delta Theta, did a lot of skiing, had a beer or two, but in retrospect, they were not very good years.  I guess I struggled with my dad’s cancer; he died at 54 in 1964.  However….. I did graduate, received a commission (Army ROTC) in June 1966.  I met my wife, Judy Peterson, the preceding summer (the summer of ’65) in Jamestown at a typical lakeside pavilion dance, the rush was on and we were married in Jan ’66.  It’s been over 40 years; it’s been a great run.


After graduation, Judy and I lived all over the U.S. with the Army….Basic Course in Virginia, Flight School at Ft. Wolters, Texas, and Ft Rucker, Alabama. Then I was off to Vietnam and Judy returned to Jamestown and attended Jamestown College.  Vietnam worked out for O.K. for me….saw 10 months of action, flying combat assault (Huey, troop insertions/extractions, medivac) in the Delta region of Vietnam.  Spent another 2 months in Battalion Operations, came home in one piece with several decorations including the Distinguished Flying Cross, Purple Heart, Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry, etc.  After spending the balance of my commitment as a Tactics Instructor at Ft Rucker, I exited the Service as a Captain.


After the service, in late 1969 Judy and I decided on Southern California, rather than North Dakota, to re-start our lives.  Great decision!  I landed an entry level accounting job with Hughes Aircraft Co.(later became Raytheon), did some graduate work at U.S.C., and had a good 30+year career retiring as the Director of Finance for Tactical Systems Division in 1999.  I did consulting work for them for another 4 years.  Judy earned a Masters in Education and had a very successful 25 year career teaching elementary school. 


Son Mark is married, 2 children, and living in Germany.  He’s been there since graduating from NMMI (AA) and St. Olaf (BA) in 1988, employed in academia, teaching university, and soon to have his PhD.  Mark’s wife, Susanne is German, a trained nurse, currently at home raising their children.  Our daughter, Erica, is married, 2 children and lives in neighboring Redondo Beach.  She graduated from U of Oregon, and worked several years for DirecTV before leaving the firm to raise children.  Husband Greg, formally a professional volleyball player, is a stock broker.


Over the years there have been a variety of interests:  Backpacking, golfing, skiing, tennis, hunting and fishing, lots of committee work, amateur theater (both production and performance), and much travel.  Recently Judy has been on the Board of Directors of Leadership Manhattan Beach and Chairman of the Centennial Committee of our church.  I have been the principal organizer/coordinator for the three European Concert Tours our Choir has taken.  I also had the privilege of coordinating the creation of three commissioned musical compositions for the celebration of our church’s centennial. 


Having purchased a cabin on Lake Sallie (near Detroit Lakes), we will be spending our summers there and looking forward to many, many good times at The Lakes.  Come see us… we’ll take a little ‘cocktail cruise’, tell stories of the ‘good ol' days’ at Camp White Earth, and generally catch up on the last 50-60 years!


If you’re ever in ‘La La’ land, be sure to look us up!




Al Standish


I lived in Nokomis district of Minneapolis.  After Camp White Earth ('50, '51) attended summer camp for three years at nearby BSA Camp Many Point.  I attended Cretin High School in St Paul, graduating in 1956.  Graduated from U of MN in 1961 (BChE). Then  reported to amphibious assault carrier USS THETIS BAY (LPH 6) in the Philippines.  Selected for submarines in 1962 and while training in New London CT, met Catherine (Kay) McCaffrey who became my bride in 1965.  Served aboard USS SIRAGO (SS 485) including stint as chief engineer.  After additional school, I was assigned as navigator aboard USS DANIEL BOONE (SSBN 629) completing five deterrent Polaris patrols in the Pacific. While ashore in Washington DC, attended George Washington University evening classes (1971) for MS in Administration (Systems Management). Selected as Engineering Duty Officer.  Assistant Project Manager for construction of PEGASUS (PHM 1) class patrol hydrofoil. Reassigned to Naval Shipyard Portsmouth in Kittery ME. Posted to Commander in Chief U S Atlantic Fleet Staff in Norfolk VA and later Norfolk Naval Shipyard.  Final assignment at Naval Sea Systems Command HQ in Washington DC.  Retired as CDR. Worked as engineer and logistics manager for defense contracting firms.  Established independent engineering consultancy, Industrial Systems Associates, in 1996.  Operated bed and breakfast, The Carriage Inn, in Charles Town WV from an 1836 Federal structure once site of meeting between Generals Grant and Sheridan. Relocated to Port Ludlow WA overlooking Admiralty Inlet and Mount Baker in 2002. Children live in Albany NY, Annapolis MD and London UK.  Six grandchildren. Enjoy volunteer activities, genealogy research, hiking, world travel and gourmet dining.



Malcolm Burson


I was "Mal" in those days.  After my White Earth years (57-61), I attended the University of Wisconsin, and went from there to an Episcopal seminary, following which I spent 20+ years in the ministry.  I also earned a graduate degree in medieval studies, and for a brief period taught medieval history at a university in Canada.  But my then wife and I moved to Maine in 1980, where I've been ever since.  Since leaving the ministry, my career has been focused on organizational training and development in a variety of settings; since 1999 I've been part of Maine's Department of Environmental Protection, where I'm now (and probably until I retire in a few short years) the Associate Policy Director.  Have two children--one finishing up a Ph.D. at Yale; the other the Literary and Education Manager of Portland Stage Company here in Maine.  I also live in Portland with a partner of 5+ years:  Eleanor and I love to sea kayak, hike in the mountains, and travel throughout the world:  Cambodia coming up early in '08.




Willis “Bill” Kildow


Graduated from Washburn High School, Minneapolis in 1944, and in 1948 from the University of Minnesota with a BA Degree in Journalism and Advertising. As my father, Fred L. Kildow, was a Professor of Journalism at Minnesota naturally I went there.

Between 1944 and 1948 I fulfilled my Armed Services requirements. A surprise call-up from the Air Force Reserve pulled me out of high school about March of 1944. Tested for the Air Force “stanine” qualities at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas. (A series of tests, five in all, designed to classify airmen as Pilot, Navigator, or Bombardier – these were the top three, and each with a possible 9 as maximum score. Your total of these three was your stanine rating.

At that time, a total score of 14 was necessary to qualify for one of the top three categories. I believe the fourth and fifth categories were for Gunner and Ground Crew respectively. At any rate, I qualified for Pilot training as an Aviation Cadet. I was told often that this rating was the one below Private!!

To make it short, I qualified for Pilot (Aviation Cadet). We were sent to Coe College in Cedar Rapids, Iowa for an eleven month accelerated Engineering course. Then Sheppard Field in Wichita Falls, Texas for basic training and up to Scott Field in East Saint Louis, Illinois to wait for an opening in a Flight School.

As 8 May 1945 ended the hostilities in Europe, and 2 September Japan gave up, the situation became one of a surplus of pilots and no real need for any more. Trying to figure what to do with us, they finally came up with the offer. An Honorable Discharge at the convenience of the Air Force (i.e. subject to recall) or stay and wait for an opening. On becoming a Lieutenant and Air Force Pilot you would then serve at least 3-years overseas. I, (and 99% of the group) said “Thank you. . .OUT!!). So on Halloween 1945 I headed for Minnesota to go to College.

A short footnote on the above. At the time of my discharge, the Staff Sergeant told me that my stanine score was a perfect 27 – not only that, it was actually 5x 9 or 45 for a total perfect score. He asked me if I really would not like to stay in the Air Force. I thanked him politely, but, no!. On entering the U. of M., credits for the accelerated course at Coe meant I started the U. as a 3rd quarter Sophomore – and graduated in 1948 like my Washburn classmates!!

From ’48 to 1972, I was Sales Rep, Sales Manager, or Marketing Executive for a number of companies, including years as Sales Manager for Cessna FBOs (fixed-base operations) Crystal Shamrock at Crystal Field and Executive Aero at Flying Cloud Airport. Finally, flying! During these years I managed to rack up a little over 1200 hours as Pilot in Command, with dual-engine and (almost) Instrument ratings. Great days.


During this time I created and organized (and, of course), became Secretary of the Minneapolis Ad Club Bowling League. There were 8 complete teams, each sponsored by one of the businesses in the Advertising Club. The league was very successful. I became a bit of a “bowling fanatic” and wound up bowling as a regular in the Minneapolis All Star Bowling League, Baden’s Classic League, the Ad Club, and as a substitute for other teams on the fourth night. No wonder I couldn’t stay married! I did wind up with an overall average of 198 through it all.

In 1972, shortly before the Olympics in Munich, my partner and I took our shot at the golden ring. We need a minimum of $3 million to start up a new company in Dallas, Texas that would be a computer-based Information Exchange for American corporations. We had the program all set up, a great idea, all we needed was some money! Never happened, met Gisela, was hired by Ortec GmbH (EG&G was the U.S. mother firm) and am still here (Munich, Germany) following my retirement in September, 1990.   

Best regards, Bill